Smiling has the power to change your life in surprising ways, but it’s difficult to smile if you don’t like the way your teeth look. If you feel self-conscious every time you open your mouth, chances are that you’ve gotten in the habit of covering it with your hand or even holding back from laughing altogether. That’s no way to go through life! Especially since there are easy, reliable ways to improve the appearance of your teeth. Keep reading to learn why it’s so important to feel good about your smile and how a cosmetic dentist can help.
The Importance of Feeling Confident About Your Smile
While smiling may seem like a simple gesture, many studies have shown that it benefits you in significant ways:
- Other people see you differently – Researchers found that people with an attractive smile are seen as more attractive, intelligent, competent, and likable. And that can really help you navigate your personal and professional life with more confidence.
- Smiling makes you feel happy – It’s been found that smiling stimulates the positive “pleasure centers” in your brain even more than eating chocolate. It can also improve your mood and help you beat the winter blues. Interestingly, these benefits hold true even when you force a smile.
- It can also reduce stress – A study from the journal Psychological Science found that smiling can reduce the heart rate and other physiological responses to stress. The next time you’re in a difficult situation, try smiling for a minute or two to help you relax and minimize the stress you feel.
How Can Cosmetic Dentistry Help?
If you weren’t born with a beautiful smile, rest assured that a cosmetic dentist can help. In fact, the following procedures can all be done in just 1 to 2 visits:
- Professional whitening – Whitening is incredibly popular because you get a big payoff for a relatively small investment of time and money. The FDA limits the strength of store-bought options, so you’ll get superior results from working with a cosmetic dentist.
- Cosmetic dental bonding – This simple procedure is done in just 1 visit and is often a great choice for minor stains, chips, cracks, and cavities on the front teeth.
- Porcelain veneers – Porcelain veneers are the ultimate smile makeover tool and are completed in just 2 visits. These thin, strong “shells” of porcelain are adhered to the front surfaces of your teeth to give them a whole new appearance. They’re perfect for chips, cracks, severe stains, small or oddly shaped teeth, and more. With basic care and maintenance, they can last 10-15 years.
If you’d like to know which procedures are right for you, start by scheduling a consultation with a cosmetic dentist. After they’ve looked at your oral health, dental history, budget and overall goals, they’ll create a personalized treatment plan that fits your needs perfectly.
Everyone deserves a smile that they feel good about. With help from a cosmetic dentist, you’ll improve your overall appearance and boost your self-confidence at the same time.
About the Author
Dr. Drew Addy became a general and cosmetic dentist because he sincerely wanted to help people. He loves seeing the impact that a great smile has on his patients’ confidence and offers a wide range of cosmetic services to fit everyone’s needs. If you’d like to know more about cosmetic dentistry or have any questions, he can be reached via his website.