Shorten “temporomandibular” to TMJ, and you have the more familiar way of saying jaw joint. Three letters can spell real, painful problems for patients who have something our TMJ dentist, Dr. Drew Addy, has extensive experience treating — TMD.
Did jaw pain keep you from doing things or eating certain foods? Learn about occlusal equilibration and how we subtly reshape your smile to correct the alignment of your bite.
Is TMD Affecting Me?
Johns Hopkins Medicine identifies the following as the most common signs of TMD:
- Jaw discomfort or soreness (often most prevalent in the morning or late afternoon)
- Pain spreading behind the eyes, in the face, shoulder, neck, and back
- Earaches or ringing in the ears (not caused by an infection of the inner ear canal)
- Clicking or popping the jaw
- Locking of the jaw
- Limited mouth motions
- Clenching or grinding of the teeth
- Sensitivity of the teeth without the presence of an oral health disease
- Numbness or tingling sensation in the fingers
- A change in the way the upper and lower teeth fit together
See how easy it is for symptoms of TMD to mimic other conditions or medical problems. See your Carlsbad TMJ dentist work on getting the proper diagnosis.
How Does Equilibration Work?
The Occlusal Equilibration Process with Dr. Drew Addy will include noting where your teeth don’t align properly. He can reshape parts of your biting surfaces that cause your teeth to be misaligned or stick out. When done precisely, your teeth will fit together perfectly, removing excess pressure on your jaw. Imagine relief on so many levels. We’ll be sure to preserve and protect your enamel.
What Are the Benefits of it All?
Occlusal equilibration is pain-free, and you never have to consider anesthesia. It’s an efficient way to reshape your teeth compared to more in-depth orthodontic treatments. Equilibration doesn’t require shifting your teeth like traditional braces or clear aligners. Your TMJ dentist will ensure your smile looks perfect through minor adjustments.
Call 760-729-5881 to learn more about how we can help you and your family with TMJ pain.
Don’t wait to reach out to Carlsbad Beach Dental, Drew Addy DDS, to schedule an appointment online.